Itching can be caused because of dry skin, an allergic reaction, as well as diseases of the skin or internal organs. To get rid of itchy skin fast you immediately contact your doctor for treatment. There are also natural home remedies available like aloe vera, honey and neem that can give you quick relief.
Itching is a sensation of the skin to which it responds with scratching or rubbing. The causes behind the unpleasant itching may be varied. So itching can be caused because of dry skin, an allergic reaction, as well as diseases of the skin or internal organs. In certain diseases itching occurs all over the body. It can also be locally restricted to certain parts of the body such as the scalp or the genital area. Read here what you can do against unpleasant itching.
Various causes of itching
Itching is often caused by an excessively dry skin or skin conditions such as hives, psoriasis or eczema. In addition, hypersensitivity to certain foods, drugs and insect bites can also cause itching.
In rare cases, itching can be a symptom of an internal disease – for example, may by diabetes, a disorder of the liver or kidney function as well as leukemia occur. In such diseases the itching occurs without skin change. However, this is also the called idiopathic itching of the case, which has no apparent reason. Often then plug psychological problems behind the symptoms.
Dry skin for itching
A dry skin not only feels rough and stretched, but may also itch. Possible causes represent external factors such as dry air or excessive hygiene. For example, certain skin care products dry out the skin. In addition, however, it is also possible that internal causes, such as problems with fat and moisture regulation, lead to dry skin.
If you have a dry skin, you should avoid when washing and showering, perfumed toiletries and instead prefer to use acid-neutral products. Also creams and moisturizing lotion that helps to beat dry skin. Also, make sure to take plenty of fluids.
Because behind dry skin and itching can also hide serious diseases, you should be examined by a doctor if these measures do not strike.
Skin rash and itching
Itching occurs together with a skin rash that often has skin conditions such as hives, psoriasis or eczema behind the complaints. During the formation of itchy wheals in hives and psoriasis reddened skin areas occurs, the top layer of skin is white shingled. Characteristic of atopic dermatitis is a red rash that feels rough and scaly.
In addition to these three skin diseases you may also be associated skin infections as well as the so-called lichen planus with skin rash and itching. The latter is blue-red nodules, which are about pinhead size and itchy form. The symptoms are particularly common at the wrists and on the lower leg. Children suffering under skin rash and itching can also be because of diseases such as chicken pox.
Scabies as a cause
Scabies is a skin disease caused by mites. The itch mites infest in preferred areas between the fingers and toes as well as the armpits and the genital area. There they burrow into the top layer of the cornea and thus have a relatively safe hiding place, where they can even survive full baths.
When scabies occurs there is a strong itching with redness, nodular rash. Use a magnifying glass a person can often detect the transitions that have dug the mites in the skin. In most cases, the disease can be well treated by using anti-mite agents that are applied topically to the skin.
Allergy as a trigger
An allergic reaction of the body is often accompanied by itching. In an allergy, the immune system is unable to detect harmless substances and when it later detects it causes the body to release large amounts of the neurotransmitter histamine. This then causes, for example hay fever and nose itch.
Besides this, itching can also be caused by an allergy to certain foods or drugs. Do you suffer from itching, for which there is no obvious cause, you should therefore always consider that an allergy could be the cause and can perform an allergy test. Going to a doctor is the only cure the irritation on skin caused by allergies
An allergy test can indicate whether your skin disorder was provoked by digesting something wrong. This leaves you with information about which foods, creams, etc., you should avoid in the future. The allergy test should cover all types of dust mites, foods, trees and grasses. These are the most common allergens, particularly dust mites.
Get yourself tested for allergens in food and the environment, depending on the physician both can be combined in a single test.
Itching during pregnancy
Pruritus is a symptom that occurs frequently during pregnancy. About 20 percent of all pregnant women are affected. It is believed that the hormonal changes in the body represent the shutter in the majority of cases. Frequently, the symptoms by regularly applying lotion with a moisturizing lotion will help you get relief. Severe itching that occurs in the last trimester of pregnancy, may indicate a liver disease – a so-called intrahepatic of pregnancy.
Get checked by your doctor to see if an improvement in your eczema is visible or it gets worse. Your doctor can determine by inspection of your state an appropriate treatment strategy and prescribe you some stronger prescription drugs. Itching occurs together with a skin rash, you should consult a dermatologist and can clarify the exact cause. The doctor can give you – if necessary – also prescribe suitable medication. For example, cortisone ointments help to relieve the itching. Some more of these treatments include:
- Systemic corticosteroids. These contain more active ingredients than the normal hydrocortisone preparations that can be found in the pharmacy. They are used to treat severe eczema. They may be administered as pills, cream or as an injection.
- Topical Immunomodulators (TIM). These are used for moderate to severe forms of eczema. This is not about steroids, but they have yet proven that they are effective in reducing inflammation. For drugs with topical immuno-modulators include Elidel and Protopic. These are very effective, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration FDA points out that they may increase the risk for a disease of skin cancer or non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Since eczema cause intense itching, People with eczema often have in addition a bacterial infection. This is usually the result of that the skin was scraped to the affected areas. Doctors may prescribe in this case antibiotics to fight the bacterial infection.
- Special moisturizers can be used to strengthen the barrier function of the skin. These moisturizers help to retain water in the skin and thereby reduce dryness, itching and redness. They are available as non-prescription and prescription medications.
Get rid of eczema naturally
- Aloe Vera is the most effective way to treat eczema naturally. This gel contains anti-septic and healing properties that can help to cure the skin problem. Apart from this aloe gel provides cooling sensation when applied to skin. With clean hands apply the gel to the affected area and let it dry. This will quickly soothe the irritation from skin and make it healthy.
- Honey is also a good antiseptic natural medicine that is the most effective home remedy for curing itchy skin due to dry skin. Apply honey to the affected area and keep it on skin for 10 minutes for two times daily. This will treat your dry skin allergy and make your skin problem free.
- Apply an ice pack on the area before heading to bed. The ice will help numb the area and reduce the swelling that can cause scratches. A pack of frozen vegetables works fine if an ice pack is not at hand. Holding an ice pack on the eczema-prone skin helps to reduce itching. If the itching is very strong, take a clean washcloth, dip it in cold water and put it on the skin. The wet compress should help to relieve the itching. Your skin will feel an immediate relief from itching and swelling.
- Keep cool cucumber on your skin and leave it for some time. This will help you reduce the inflammation and help you get rid of itchy skin.
- Neem is one of the most powerful natural agents, widely used in India since ancient times to cure the itch of skin. Take few leaves of neem and make a paste, apply it to your skin and wash it after 5 minutes. Repeat it twice a day for one week to get quick relief.
- To relieve the itching of eczema apply a cotton ball soaked in regular milk. But to relieve and treat purulent eczema, seek the condensed milk. Soak a washcloth with condensed milk and put it on the affected part. Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse with cold water.